Thursday, April 24th, 2014

Cal Poly Dorm Fire Causes Thousands Of Dollars In Damages

fireA fire on Cal Poly’s campus last night did an estimated $25,000 worth of damage. 

San Luis Obispo City Fire Department and Cal Fire personnel responded to a fire at the Poly Canyon Village Housing Complex at 7:48 last night.  A small fire was found in a four bedroom first floor suite in the Corralitos dormitory.

The buildings fire sprinkler system held the fire in check.  Firefighters were able to conduct a primary search for residents and extinguish the remaining fire.

Cal Poly University Police Officers and housing complex resident advisors evacuated the majority of the occupants of the 5-story building within the first 10 minutes of the incident.

Fire damage was limited to part of one bedroom and its contents.

Fire crews remained at the scene for two hours to assist building recovery, water removal, and restoration.

Cal Poly was able to provide temporary housing for all of the displaced first floor tenants.  No one was injured during the incident.

The property damage to the building is estimated to be more than $20,000.  The damage to contents and personal belongings is estimated to be more than $5,000.  According to Fire Marshall Roger Maggio, the fire started in a bedroom and the cause of the fire was an unattended candle.  

Scroll To Top