Friday, October 24th, 2014

Neighbor Attempts To Put Out Blaze Until Firefighters Arrive

slofireSan Luis Obispo City Fire Department personnel responded to a reported structure fire at 552 Westmont Ave in the City of San Luis Obispo at 4:17 p.m. yesterday.  The first arriving SLO City Fire Department unit found a small room and contents on fire in a 1,200 square foot single story duplex residential unit with the next door neighbor attempting to extinguish the deep seated fire through the front door with a garden hose.

She had been alerted to the fire by the sound of an activated smoke detector.  The two occupants of the involved unit were not home at the time the fire was discovered.

The remaining fire was quickly extinguished and overhauled by the first arriving fire department unit. Control was achieved within 8 minutes of the initial 9-1-1 call.

The American Red Cross also responded and is providing temporary housing and assistance to the two displaced occupants.

No injuries occurred to the occupants or firefighters. The property loss/damage to the structure and contents is estimated at over $20,000.

According to Fire Marshal Roger Maggio the fire started in the living room on a low table and burned completely through the floor. The cause of the fire appears to be accidental/unintentional. The residence did have a working smoke detector according to fire investigators.  

Scroll To Top