Saturday, August 23rd, 2014

SLO Fire Department Works Quickly To Extinguish Residential Fire

slofireSan Luis Obispo City Fire Department personnel responded to a reported structure fire at 230 Kentucky Ave in the City of San Luis Obispo at 4:49 pm Saturday.  The first arriving SLO City Fire Department unit found a small kitchen fire in the 1,200 square foot single-story residence.  The elderly female occupant and neighboring Cal Poly students were attempting to put the fire out from the exterior with a garden hose when firefighters arrived.

The remaining fire was quickly extinguished and overhauled by the first arriving fire department unit.  Control was achieved within 6 minutes of the initial 911 call.

The elderly female resident suffered minor smoke inhalation while attempting to extinguish the fire.  She was medically evaluated on scene by fire department paramedics. She refused transport to the hospital for further treatment.

The property loss/damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $3,000.  According to Fire Captain Bob Bisson the fire started when the resident accidentally caught an oven mitt on fire while cooking.  She thought she had extinguished the oven mitt and then set it on top of a nearby box.  It reignited when she was out of the kitchen and fire then spread to nearby combustible objects under the kitchen table. The cause of the fire was accidental.

The residence did not have a working smoke detector in the home according to fire personnel on scene.  SLOFD personnel helped clean up the fire damage and installed a new smoke detector for the resident before leaving. 

Scroll To Top