Thursday, July 28th, 2016

Woman Carjacked And Raped At Gunpoint, Suspect Arrested In San Ardo

Edson-TapiaOn Sunday, June 23, at approximately 11:50 p.m., deputies from the SLO County Sheriff’s Office transported a crime victim to PRPD.  This victim had originally reported the incident to the deputies because she was in San Miguel, but through their initial investigation it was determined the incidents began in the City of Paso Robles earlier in the evening at approximately 8:30 p.m.

PRPD learned the 19-year-old female victim had been accosted by two suspects while getting gas at a service station in the 100 block of Niblick Road.  The victim reported that she had been coerced to drive both suspects to the area of San Ardo in Monterey County.

One of the suspects left after they arrived there, while the other suspect stayed with the victim.  This suspect then sexually assaulted the victim at gunpoint inside the vehicle before taking her to San Miguel.  The victim was able to escape from the vehicle in San Miguel and the suspect fled in her vehicle.  The victim called 911 and the suspect was gone prior to the arrival of the deputies.

This information was broadcast to law enforcement agencies in both San Luis Obispo County and Monterey County.  At approximately 3:10 a.m. on June 24th, deputies from the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office located the victim’s vehicle unoccupied and abandoned in San Ardo.  The vehicle was recovered and has been processed for evidence by PRPD detectives with the assistance of the personnel from the California Department of Justice Crime Lab.

On June 24th at approximately 11:00 a.m., PRPD detectives located both suspects in San Ardo.   As a result of their investigation, one of the suspects was arrested and transported back to PRPD.  This suspect was identified as 21-year-old San Ardo resident Edson Tapia.

The other subject contacted in San Ardo was released after being interviewed.  This subject is believed to be the person originally identified as the second suspect in this incident.  Detectives could not establish probable cause to arrest this subject and the investigation is ongoing.